Site Ministry of Parliamentary Relations & Constitutional Affairs, Somaliland
Background Information about Host Institution
The goal of the institution is to ensure that the interest of the nation is protected and well-served by systematically and effectively coordinating the working relationship between the Executive, Houses of Parliament and Judiciary, and have both citizens and institutions abide by the Constitution.
The mission of the Ministry of Parliamentary Relations & Constitutional Affairs is to create a society where all Somaliland citizens enjoy their constitutional privileges, through strengthening the competence of the Ministry, promoting civic education of the Constitution, and developing a strong working relationship between government institutions, Houses of Parliament, and non-state actors.
Organizational unit/ Department: Coordination advisor and liaison officer of International Agencies
Duration of assignment: Maximum of three months
Objectives of Assignment
The Ministry of Parliamentary Relations & Constitutional Affairs needs the expertise, technical support and skills transfer of the/a CD4D2 Advisor for the coordination and liaison of International Agencies in order to enhance the capacity of the staff of the institution. Specifically, MoPCA needs to carry out a rigorous institutional capacity assessment, structural reform and factional review. This knowledge transfer of the Consultant will drastically improve the functionality of the Ministry and will improve service delivery and the overall status of the Ministry.
The MoPCA aims to strengthen cooperation between the Ministry and its partners, including other governmental and non-governmental organizations. There are also various organization and institutions interested in working and collaborating with the Ministry, such as international organizations and the United Nations. The Ministry promotes good governance, democracy, and the rule of law. The Ministry provides constitution and citizenship study (?).
To strengthen the relationship and cooperation between the institutions, it is necessary to develop a plan and procedures for working together. The Ministry then needs to find a consultant to advise on these issues, with the aim of accelerating, developing, improving, and empowering the Ministry to provide efficient and effective services.
The tasks of the Advisor for the coordination and liaison of International Agencies is to ensure that projects have guidelines, so they are completed in a timely, efficient manner. Effective policies guarantee cohesiveness and consistency in business’ operations, saving companies the effort of dealing with each project individually/separately. (?)
The Ministry is convinced that the engagement of the CD4D2 participant will effectively impact on the efficiency, technical ability and institutional performance capacity of the Ministry of Parliamentary Relations & Constitutional Affairs in carrying out its mandate and tasks effectively.
The consultant will assist and support our Ministry to carry out a rigorous institutional capacity assessment, structural reform and factional review. Particularly, the Ministry expects that the CD4D2 participant (Advisor for the coordination and liaison of International Agencies) delivers the following results:
- Strengthening the Ministry’s technical ability & institutional capacity that effectively contributes to the upgrading of the Ministry’s functionality.
- Improvement of service delivery mechanisms and the overall status of the Ministry.
- Review, reform, and re-organize the structure of the Ministry and the staff.
- Setting up and prioritizing project management and the Coordination of the Ministry’s and its partners, where the Ministry’s Planning and Coordinators department staff and team members will be trained, mentored, and coached.
We will work with the Ministry advisor on the following:
- Improving the service delivery system and the overall situation of the Ministry, which
will be reviewed and restructured on the responsibilities and functions of the Ministry.
- The consultant will strengthen the Ministry’s relationship with its existing partners and
connect to new ones.
- The consultant will be mapping out partners of existing organizations with whom they
can work closely now or in the near future.
- Develops TOR in collaboration with various agencies and organizations that work
closely with the Ministry.
- Organize meetings with public and private companies in partnership with the Ministry.
- Draws the Ministry’s strategy for the next five years.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Review, propose, and develop comprehensive Ministry projects,
management policies and procedures for the Ministry, supporti managers/
supervisors, and build the capacity of the Planning Department staff.
- Prepare a comprehensive policy on project management policies and procedures.
- Ensuring the maintenance and implementation of current ministerial projects.
- Review existing project management policies and procedures, and identify gaps and
- Design, recommend, and implement a Ministry Management Project
funded by the government or a non-governmental organizations.
- Training and capacity building of the planning department of the Ministry.
- Support and coordinate the Ministry’s project management policy and give advice to partners and stakeholders (national and international).
- Time Management
- Good communication & interpersonal ability
- Positive attitude
- Tolerant, helpful, and polite person whilst he/she is working under time pressure,
- Has very strong communication skills, good expertise in team working & team building with an effective reliability and time management,
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the Ministry of Parliamentary Relations & Constitutional Affairs.
- Displays culturally sensitive, gender, religion, race, nationality and age attitude and social adaptability.
- Treats all people in a fair, decent and dignified manner without prejudice or favouritism.
- The consultant should proactively work with others to achieve individual and team objectives, propose ways and strategies to improve working practice and reduce the waste of resources.
- The consultant should share experiences to help new colleagues to learn their job and become part of the team quickly.
- The consultant should actively contribute to the work of the team and set a good example; he/she should take responsibility for own decisions. Moreover, the expert should acquire new knowledge and skills and share what they learned with others.
- The consultant should use straightforward methods, tools, and equipment to carry out tasks to a safe standard.
- The consultant should demonstrate safe working practices and act as a role model.
- The consultant should be experienced and able to train others in their own area of work.
Education and Experience
- University degree (BSc or MSc) in Public Administration, business administration, Social Science.
- Proven track record in this field, good understanding in working with Public/Governmental Institutions.
- English: Fluent (speaking & writing)
- Somali: Native (speaking & writing)