Site Ministry of Parliamentary Relations and Constitutional Affairs
Background Information about Host Institution
The Ministry of Parliamentary Relations & Constitutional Affairs (MoPCA) was established in 1995, by Presidential decree No.59/95, Ref: JSL/M/XERM/249/59/1995, dated the 8th November 1995. Throughout this period, ten Ministers were appointed to lead the Ministry. During this historical period of different presidencies, the MoPCA name changed numerous times.
The President of the Republic of Somaliland, fulfilling his political commitment to reform the rule of law, has taken the responsibility for constitutional affairs for the first time, whereby the constitution is at the basis of national legislation. The power of the Ministry includes, but is not limited to, reforming the Somaliland Constitution by preparing a national plan to review and amend the constitution if necessary.
The Ministry of Parliamentary Relations & Constitutional Affairs envisions a law-oriented society in which both citizens and state institutions abide by the Constitution, and where the working relationship among the Executive, Houses of Parliament and Judiciary is co-ordinated systematically and effectively to ensure that the interest of the nation is protected and well-served.
The mission of the Ministry of Parliamentary Relations & Constitutional Affairs is to create a society where all Somaliland citizens enjoy their constitutional privileges, through strengthening the competence of the Ministry, promoting civic education about the Constitution, anddeveloping a strong working relationship between government institutions, Houses of Parliament and non-state actors.
On 27th May 2019, the President of Somaliland has also (by Decree) transferred the role of Somaliland Law Reform Commission (LRC) to the Ministry of Parliamentary Relations and Constitutional Affairs.
Organizational unit/Department: Office of the Minister
Duration of assignment: Maximum of three months
Objectives of Assignment
- The Senior Policy Parliamentary Advisor Expert will assist the development and preparation of the Ministry’s new strategic plan, which needs to be updated.
- Under the overall guidance of the Minister, the consultant will assist the Ministry in developing Parliamentary Directorate to work with the new Members of Houses of Representative Members and the House of Elder in improving relations between Executive and Law Makers. The consultant will do so by enhancing working methods of through the implementation of systems and procedures.
- The consultant will develop capacity-building resources for the Ministry and both Houses Officials. In light of the above, the consultant will be tasked with reviewing current programmes, and providing reform/guidance on areas to improve policies and procedures.
- Coordinating the development of the Ministry’s Strategic Plan beyond 2022.
- Assisting the Ministry in developing/fostering better relations with both Houses of Parliament.
- Providing overall policy and leadership advice to the Minister, Director-General, and Ministry Parliamentary Directorate to better liaise with other government agencies and Parliament.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Analyse existing structures and links between Ministry and Parliament (Both Houses of Parliament), and produce a report with recommendations on strategic Parliamentary policy.
- Build relationships with stakeholders, relevant institutions by introducing them to Global Parliament.
- Give advice to the Ministry, Speakers of Parliament, Director-General, and other relevant officials on policy matters and Procedure’s partnership with Overseas Parliaments.
- Create a a team which specializes in the development of new strategies for the Ministry in relation to both Houses of Parliament.
- Develops new policies and procedures
- Shapes new policies and sets long-term objectives
- Understands the wider strategic environment to make appropriate decisions
- Develops relationships with partners/stakeholders/local and overseas parliament
- Effectively communicates the Ministry’s priorities
- Produces formal partnership collaborations with external partners
- Politically sensitive and actively engaged with strategic policy
- Initiates attitudinal change across the Ministry
- Understands advanced aspects of the area of specialisation of Parliamentary Institutions as well as fundamental concepts related to collaboration with other Parliamentary actors.
- Serves as primary consultant in the area of expertise and shares knowledge of Parliamentary work with staff, DG, Parliament Officials and the Minister.
- Keeps abreast of Parliamentary developments related to the programme and activities as Ministry’s mandated to work with Parliaments.
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of current guidelines and project management tools and utilises these during the assignment.
- Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of communication practices and utilises theseto improve the profile of the Ministry.
- Effectively networks with relevant partners ensuring that strategic partnerships and alliances are built in relation to the Ministry’s key undertakings.
- Contributes to the implementation of, and understands, key advocacy strategies by identifying and prioritising audiences and communication means.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalence in Public Policy and Management and multidisciplinary experience.
- At least 20 years of relevant experience at the national or international level with project management, policy analysis/formulation and strategic communications.
- 15 years of Experience of working as an Advisor in the public sector, Non-Governmental and Business Sector with a proven track record in building relations with international organisations, government institutions etc.
- Extensive experience in advocacy, communications, and network building of Somaliland issues.
- English: Excellent Working Proficiency
- Somali: Excellent Working Proficiency