Site Ministry of Justice, Federal Government of Somalia (FGS)
Background Information about Host Institution
Mission of the Ministry;
- To continually strive to empower our people by delivering justice, equality before the law, truth, dignity and integrity;
- To assist in restoring order and to create faith in an environment where the rule of law prevails;
- To promote democracy, good governance and human rights through the development of policies that enhance the enjoyment of social, economic and political rights;
- Building and strengthening the capacity of the justice system especially the independence of the Judiciary, based on Justice, Equality, Trust and respecting the Constitution, Laws and other By-laws of the Country.
Duration of assignment: 3 months
Objectives of Assignment
The expert will contribute to the Ministry of Justice’s development of partner and government agencies in the justice sector and contribute to the development of a more strategic and coordinated approach to justice reform. This assignment aims to build the capacity of justice sector institutions to effectively and efficiently implement Law No-7 and necessary policy and legislations on prisons. The assignment is expected to:
- Enhance understanding by the partner justice institutions in the practical application of the prison law
- Strengthen respect for human rights and basic principles for the treatment of prisoners;
- Ensure that the handling of prisoners results in correction and rehabilitation;
- Ensure that due care and attention is given for groups with special needs, such as children of incarcerated mothers and juvenile offenders.
- Carry any capacity building needs instructed by the MoJ
The work will cover the following:
- Prepare an inception report consisting of a work plan and detailed methodology on training manual preparation and delivery of the training.
- Develop the training module by paying due regard to the comments and feedbacks forwarded on the inception report.
- Provide two rounds of training for judges, prosecutors, federal and Somali Police, and Curstodial Corps
Unless otherwise indicated all deliverables are to be produced in Somali.
- Functional Competencies;
- In-depth understanding of criminal law, criminal justice administration and relevant to the Somali Prison law current and international standards
- In-depth understanding of the Somalia legal system and international/regional legal frameworks
- Sizable experience in conducting research and developing work documents;
- Good communication and presentation skills;
- Good assessment and analytical skills;
- Be a team player and ability to work/liaise with various counterparts.
- Core Competencies;
- Exhibits professionalism;
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Education and Experience
- Minimum Master’s degree in law. (preferably in criminal law, criminal justice, human rights, constitutional and public
Somali and English are the working languages. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another language such as Arabic is desirable.