Site Ministry of Water Resources Development
Background Information about the Host Institution
The Ministry of Water Resources Development is the national lead agency for the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) sector and its mandated to ensure that Somaliland citizens have easy access to clean, adequate and affordable WASH facilities in a sustainable and environmentally friendly manner.
Pursuant to the Somaliland Water Act 2010 (Law No. 49), the Ministry of Water Development is solely responsible for the water resources development and management of national water resources and its mandated to act on behalf of the Government of Somaliland in all matters relating to the Water Resources.
The Ministry’s strategic purposes include:
- Development of underground and surface water resources.
- Improvement of regulatory framework and oversight of the water sector and sustainable management.
- Strengthening capacity of MoWRD and its constituent bodies.
- Coordination and information management of the sector in Somaliland.
- Converting floods from forces of disaster into livelihoods
- Mitigation of droughts and impacts of climatic and environmental changes to national water resources.
Organizational unit/Department: Office of the Director General, Ministry of Water Resources Development
Duration of assignment: Three months
Objectives of Assignment
The Ministry of Water Resources Development seeks the service of a policy and report writing specialist and expert to work closely with the Office of the Director General of the Ministry. The expert is expected to be well versed in all types of policy and report writing, project proposals, concept notes and other advanced reports. . The expert should be able to carry out internal assessment of previous report writing and produce detailed reports and build capacity for the staff under Director General and Human Resources Department.
The expert should develop all types of templates for policy and report writing and give practical training to employees on how to prepare all such types of reporting in a practical manner.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
• Prepare and develop a proposal standard template, and identify and re-work existing pre-written content where relevant
• Deliver completed written proposal responses to the Director general, and present all new proposal content to the knowledge base Director for potential re-use
• Proposal automation software (or similar) experience, and communicate and influence at a senior level both internal and external
• Provide practical training and other academic writing to directors and main staff of the Ministry of Water Resource Development
• Prepare required proposals and concept notes by working with the directors of Ministry of Water Resource Development
- Time Management
- Good communication & interpersonal ability
- Positive attitude
- Strong time management / prioritization skills
- Strong written English language skills
- Excellent attention to detail.
- The expert should proactively work with others to achieve individual and team objectives; Suggests ways of improving working practice and reducing waste of resources.
- The expert should provide early experience to help new colleagues to learn their job and become part of the team quickly.
- The expert should actively contribute to the work of the team and set a good example; accepts responsibility for own decisions. Moreover, the expert should always acquire new knowledge and skills and share what they learned with others.
- The expert should use straightforward methods, tools, and equipment to carry out tasks to a safe standard, after training and practice. The expert should demonstrate the safe working practice and acts as a role model.
- The expert should be experienced and trains others in their own area of work.
Education and Experience
Master’s degree with experience of academic writing and project management
- English: Fluent
- Somali: Fluent