Site Ministry of Water Resources Development
Background information about the host institution
The Ministry of Water Resources Development is the national lead agency for the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) sector and its mandated to ensure that Somaliland citizens have easy access to clean, adequate and affordable WASH facilities in a sustainable and environmentally friendly manner.
Pursuant to the Somaliland Water Act 2010 (Law No. 49), the Ministry of Water Development is solely responsible for the water resources development and management of national water resources and its mandated to act on behalf of the Government of Somaliland in all matters relating to the Water Resources.
The Ministry’s strategic purposes include:
- Development of underground and surface water resources.
- Improvement of regulatory framework and oversight of the water sector and sustainable management.
- Strengthening capacity of MoWRD and its constituent bodies.
- Coordination and information management of the sector in Somaliland.
- Converting floods from forces of disaster into livelihoods
- Mitigation of droughts and impacts of climatic and environmental changes to national water resources.
Organizational unit/Department: Office of the Director General, Ministry of Water Resources Development
Duration of assignment: Three months
Objectives of Assignment
The Ministry of Water Resources Development seeks the services of an Organizational Management Technical Advisor to work closely with the Office of the Director General. The expert is expected to be well versed in all types of report writing and build a team of high-performing management advisors and specialists with the composite skill sets to provide dedicated support to MOEWR offices with high-impact management challenges and to deliver tangible results.
The consultant should develop all units of the organisational system especially where the weakness exists and give practical training on how to develop the organisation in general.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
The Ministry is fully convinced that the engagement of the CD4D2 participant will effectively impact on the efficiency, technical ability and institutional performance capacity of the Ministry in carrying out its mandate and tasks effectively. In particular, the Ministry expects that the CD4D2 participant delivers the following results:
• Promote access to best available expertise and organizational learning for MoWRD staff.
• Ensure engagement teams deliver high-quality analysis and actionable recommendations in the delivery of end of engagement products.
• Coordination of organizational effectiveness and improvement services and client relationship management.
- Time Management
- Innovation: Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Organizational Design: Ability to align resources and organizational structures as well as work. approaches and culture to enable global collaboration with clear accountability.
- Leadership: Ability to persuade others to follow.
- People Management: Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Communication: Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Delivery: Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
- Change Management: Ability to apply a systematic approach to adapt, control and effect change.
- Strategic Planning / Visioning: Ability to analyze the organization’s value proposition and shape visionary/long term plans.
- Good communication & interpersonal ability
- Positive attitude
- The expert should proactively work with others to achieve individual and team objectives; suggests ways of improving working practice and reducing waste of resources.
- The expert should provide early experience to help new colleagues to learn their job and become part of the team quickly.
- The expert should actively contribute to the work of the team and set a good example; accepts responsibility for own decisions. Moreover, the expert should always acquire new knowledge and skills and share what they learned with others.
- The expert should use straightforward methods, tools, and equipment to carry out tasks to a safe standard, after training and practice. The expert should demonstrate the safe working practice and acts as a role model.
- The expert should be experienced and train others in their own area of work.
Education and Experience
Master’s degree in Organizational Development.
- English: Fluent
- Somali: Fluent