Ministry of Justice, Somaliland
Focal Point at Host Institution
Director-General Mr Abdirahman Sheikh Hassan
Background Information about the Host Institution
Ministry of Justice (MOJ) of the Republic of Somaliland was formed in 1991 by a presidential decree shortly after Somaliland declared its independence from the rest of Somalia. As per the establishing presidential Decree, the mandate and objectives of the MOJ include, among others, to coordinate the executive and the judiciary branches, and to administer and improve the capacity of the justice administration bodies; and to regulate and administer legal profession in Somaliland. Since its formation, MOJ had been undertaking its mandated tasks through leadership and oversight aimed at ensuring that all parts of the legal and justice sectors are able to effectively and efficiently deliver services to Somaliland citizens.
Organizational unit/ Department: Legislation Drafting Department
Duration of assignment: 1st April until 31st June 2020
Objectives of Assignment
The “Legal Advisor” is expected to support the Minister on a broad range of issues, including but not limited to taking the day to day legal responsibilities and providing legal advice that includes all the aspects of the analysis, investigation and drafting process. He/she is responsible for providing support and build the capacity of the staff and in discrete legal issues by advising the organization, drafting undertakings and structuring remedies for the relevant issues. This professional may also be engaged in helping to analyze and collect evidence and schedule staff hearings.
The consultant to be able to prepare legal research and data analysis and able to provide technical support to bring the data together from different justice sectors to help the Policy planning Analysis Unit answer the questions posed by policymakers and programme planners.
Responsibilities and accountabilities
• Conduct legal analysis on various legal matters and skill transfer for staff under the legal department and provide advice on different legal issues and assist in drafting legal opinions, memoranda, and other legal documents.
• Be actively involved in preparing different acts and legal submissions and draft the authoritative legal opinions as well.
• Conduct legal research by utilizing various resources and selecting the relevant material to analyze the legal information.
• Assist in reviewing the legal material and any other relevant documents and to identify the most important issues that need to be sorted out on a priority basis.
• Draw up formalities regarding the settlement of disputes and monitor the implementation of the legal clauses.
• Can understand multi-cultural
• Hard worker
• Superior writing skills, adherence to very high standards for presentation of proposal/report materials; consistent attention to detail; excellent organizational skills; and ability to prioritize, multitask, and meet deadlines.
• Familiarity with local, regional, and national foundation and government funding sources.
• Ability to work collaboratively and form solid relationships with internal and external contacts.
• Proficient with Microsoft Word and Excel, strong preference.
• Proficient with statistics packages.
Education and Experience
Master of Law
• English: Fluent
• Somali: Fluent