Site Ministry of Foreign Affairs Iraq
Background Information about Host Institution
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs advises on migration cooperation agreements between Iraq and other governments, including those of Norway, Sweden, Denmark and the European Union. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is a member of the migration Technical Working Group, which seeks to strengthen migration governance in Iraq.
Migration trends are a growing area of policy interest in Iraq following the displacement of people from areas affected by the conflict with ISIS. As recovery and reconstruction begins, there is need to consider cooperation agreements to ensure safe, orderly and dignified migration in Iraq.
Organizational unit/ Department: Legal Department
Duration of assignment: 6 weeks
Objectives of Assignment
The assignment will support the Legal Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to carry out a detailed review of all existing migration cooperation agreements between Iraq and other parties. As part of this review, a concise brief will be drafted explaining the implementation and impact of each agreement. The Legal Department may use the material for future internal staff training or as the basis of a “lessons learned” exercise to support future cooperation agreements.
The assignment will be achieved through the following steps:
1) identifying and reviewing all migration cooperation agreements currently in effect in Iraq;
2) providing short reports on the implementation and impact of each agreement;
3) delivering a presentation summarizing findings to staff of the Legal Department.
Output / Deliverables
The assignment will provide two deliverables:
- concise memos or briefs in Arabic summarizing the implementation and impact of migration cooperation agreements between Iraq and other parties;
- presentation summarizing findings to the Legal Department.
Responsibilities and accountabilities
- Complete a desk review of migration cooperation agreements in Iraq;
- Draft concise memos discussing the implementation and impact of the agreements;
- Provide a briefing for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Legal Department staff.
Strong legal analysis and communication skills
Knowledge of international law
Teaching experience highly desirable
Education and Experience
- University degree in international law, political science, human rights or related field;
- Experience in teaching is considered an asset;
- Arabic required
- English highly desirable