Berbera Municipal Authority
Background Information about the Host Institution
Berbera local government economically administers the country, and is a trade hub located in a strategic position in the Gulf of Aden. Berbera local government aims to improve its internal operational and administrative systems by making the management of information more efficient and effective. Access to information is now very slow and inefficient; information is now often stored in a decentralized manner, and much time is lost when managing what people need to access specific information at a specific time. The district wants to improve its information management by introducing a centralized internal system network, improving the management of the high amount of information and information resources, and to promote efficiency and effectiveness.
Unit: Department of Development Planning
Duration of assignment: Maximum of three months
Objectives of Assignment
The aim of this assignment is to support the District with the introduction of an internal system network for the district, to support the management of the high amount of information and information resources. The Berbera district ‘intranet’ will support district staff in managing the flood of information and decentralized data. The internal network will ensure that information and data is accessible to staff. This will increase the local governments’ efficiency and productivity, make sure that all residents can access services, and create an administration which puts its people first.
The assignment will support district Planning and IT staff in the development and set-up of an internal network, providing a platform for all information and data through an ‘intranet’ platform.
The aim of the assignment is to manage the introduction of an ‘intranet’ platform storing all information and data of the district. The assignment includes the following steps:
- The technical review and mapping of all the existing information processes in the District (What information is required? Who needs access to it? How is this information managed? etc.);
- The technical design, set-up and development of an internal network: a Berbera District ‘intranet’;
- Training of District Management, IT and Planning staff in the use, maintenance and functionalities of the system;
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Conduct a technical review of existing systems andsoftware programs used in the District, and mapping of all the existing information processes in the District
- Identify and clarify current challenges and obstacles with regards to information management and information security, and design an Interactive and appealing intranet design.
- Set-up secured and authenticated access to the internal system, and develop the document management system with features for uploading.
- Develop photo and video bank gallery features, blogs, discussion forum, survey features and search tools in the system.
- Identify, in cooperation with district management, the level of access, permissions, and administrations.
- Advise District senior management, Planning and IT staff in the system use, maintenance, administration, permissions and set-up of an internal network;
- Provide training to district staff on how to use the internal intranet system and process for the maintenance of the system;
- Time Management
- Good communication & interpersonal ability Technical
- Strong knowledge of IT network systems
- Experience in design and development of network systems
- Capable to introduce, train and coach technical staff in system use and maintenance;
Education and Experience
- BSc or bachelor’s degree in system engineering from a recognized college or university, or related field;
- At least seven (7) years of relevant experience in network system engineering, maintenance, development or proven aptitude sufficient to demonstrate the ability to meet the demands of the position
- English: Fluent
- Somali: Fluent