Ministry of Water Resources
Please check the General Requirements before applying and note in particular that the assignments are only open to Dutch nationals, or those with residence in the Netherlands, and in some cases nationals or residents of other EU countries
Ministry of Water Resources, MoEWR
Duration of Assignment
From: 15 February 2021
To: 15 May 2021
Type of Assignment: Virtual or physical (depending on pandemic and expert’s preference)
Background Information about Host Institution
Galmudug State of Somalia is committed to accelerated development and more efficient delivery of public services to the citizens, with an emphasis on the need for prudent management in the utilization of resources. This enables the government to achieve its goals of growth, productivity, efficiency and improvement in service delivery
The Ministry of Energy and Water Resource’s overall responsibility is two sectors namely: Water Resources and Energy exploration. The mandate of the ministry is development and management of water resources, water harvesting and storage, water services and sanitation regulation, dams and sanitation management.
Objectives of Assignment
1- Provide expert advice on the technical and investment needs for hydrometeorological services in Galmudug.
2- Undertaking data and information collection on the status of hydrometeorological services in Galmudug, either through desk-top research or facilitation with relevant officials.
3- Transfer knowledge to junior engineers in the ministry with building their capacity on water resource management.
The technical hydrologist will provide analytic technical and local presence support to the implementation of the projects.
- Develop short guidelines/strategies and implementation plans for hydrometeorology and water resources sectors to lessen impacts of hydrometeorological disasters/emergencies.
- Provide expert technical advice and assistance for the analysis of hydrometeorological hazard potential and risks to populations.
- Gathering of background information on the status and needs for hydrometeorological services in Galmudug.
- Mentor junior staff to build capacity in the Water management sector.
- Significant experience working with government officials and international donors.
- Knowledge of the status and background of hydrometeorological services in Africa/Somalia.
- Significant experience and knowledge of areas linked to early warning services, meteorological and / or hydrological forecasting, disaster hazard and risk assessment, and modelling
- Strong capabilities in English technical reporting and communications.
Education and Experience
- Minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience working in hydrometeorological early warning environments as it relates to disaster response and risk reduction, three (3) years of field experience (domestic or overseas) in operational meteorology or hydrology.
- Knowledge of cross-cutting issues related to the water sector: climate change, environmental and social issues, inclusion, and poverty reduction.
- Experience with assessing water sector issues and developing water management plans or strategic plans with clear roles, defined outcomes, and monitoring indicators and targets.
- Knowledge of water resources management (WRM) and water supply and sanitation services delivery (WSS), utility/institutional reform and public-private partnerships, sector coordination and policy dialogue, private sector participation and pro-poor strategy and program development.
- Experience coordinating or facilitating high-level meetings required.
Fluency in English