Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospitals Complex, Ile Ife
Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospitals Complex, Ile Ife, Nigeria
Organization unit/Department: Department of Otorhinolaryngology
Duration of Assignment: Three (3) months
Type of Assignment: Virtual
Background Information about Host Institution
The Obafemi Awolowo University teaching Hospitals Complex is a tertiary multiunit Health institution providing tertiary health care to patients from Osun state and neighboring states in south west and South South Nigeria. It serves as a teaching hospital for medical and allied medical students of the Obafemi Awolowo University, as well as a center for residency training for postgraduate medical Doctors in various medical and surgical specialties.
The hospital’s mission is to be in the forefront of comprehensive health care delivery in Nigeria at an affordable cost as well as human capacity development in the arrears of health care services and research.
The Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching hospital is located in the Ife Hospital Unit of the Hospital. This department has been offering services in Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck surgery for over four decades.
Objectives of Assignment
Transfer of knowledge and improved quality of care in the arrears of Head and Neck Oncology care and Otology
- Improved training of resident and young post Fellowship doctors
- Promotion of International collaboration in the area of research in Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck surgery / Otology
- Improved clinical management of the patients
- Enhancement of practical skills in Head and Neck Surgery/ Otology
- Enhancement of practical skills in the care of patients with Head and Neck cancers
- Enhancement of skills in Otology especially in temporal bone surgery and Cochlear implant surgery
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
To transfer knowledge, improve and enhance skills in the areas highlighted above
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competences:
- Ability to work with stakeholders to help formulate and deliver effective training materials
- Ability to impact knowledge on clinical management
- Capacity in research design, development and execution
- Capacity in post graduate training in Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck surgery/ Otology
Education and Experience
- Fellowship or its equivalents in Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck surgery or Otology
- 5 years post fellowship or post-graduate
- 5 years experience in clinical practice as a Head and Neck Surgeon or Otologist
Fluency in English is required.