Food Crops Production Technology Transfer Station (FCPTTS) Ubiaja
Please check the General Requirements before applying and note in particular that the assignments are only open to Dutch nationals, or those with residence in the Netherlands, and in some cases nationals or residents of other EU countries
Food Crops Production Technology Transfer Station (FCPTTS) Ubiaja – Edo State
Duration of Assignment
From: 15 January, 2021
To: 15 April 2021
Type of Assignment: Virtual or physical (depending on the pandemic and the expert’s preference)
Background Information about Host Institution
The Food Crops Production Technology Transfer Station Ubiaja, Edo State was established in 1982 by the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development Abuja to carry out the following mandates;
- Training of Farmers, extension workers and students on industrial attachment on improved farming methods
- Establishment of adaptive research and crops demonstration plots.
- Crops production and multiplication activities.
- Organization of farmers field day and agricultural show.
- Agro service to farmers and other relevant institutions
Other branches are also located in Ugwuoba Enugu State, Dan-Hassan, Kano and Gashua Yobe State.
Objectives of Assignment
To transfer knowledge and develop public sector technical capacity in Horticultural seedling production.
- Improved horticultural propagation techniques e.g budding, grafting methods etc.
- Principles of vegetable crops production.
- Improved vegetables crops seeds/seedlings production.
- Improved tropical fruits and nuts production and management
- Improved planting methods, transportation, storage and protection of horticultural seedlings
- Improved pests and diseases control in horticulture crops.
- Improved ornamental and landscape horticulture
The expert is expected to demonstrate the following competences:
- Capacity to virtually assist the trainees on improved horticultural propagation techniques e.g seeding, budding, grafting techniques etc.
- Capacity to virtually teach the trainees on improved basic principle of enhancing vegetable crops production.
- Capacity to assist the trainees on vegetable crops, tropical fruits and nuts seeds/seedlings production and management.
- To assist the trainees in identifying and control of horticultural pests and diseases.
Education and Experience
M.Sc/Ph.d Degree with five years working experience in any of the following:
- Crop Science
- Computer skills
- 5 years work experience in horticultural production and management.
- Understanding of basic principles of horticultural production and plant breeding.
- Knowledge of Nigeria climate and agricultural factor is desirable.
Fluency in English