Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi (FUAM)
Organizational Unit/Department: Department of Crop and Environmental Protection, Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi (FUAM)
Duration of Assignment: 1 March, 2022 – 1 June, 2022
Type of Assignment: Virtual or physical (depending on pandemic and expert’s preference)
Background Information about Host Institution
The Federal University of Agriculture Makurdi (FUAM) established on 1st of January, 1988 had evolved from the defunct Federal University of Technology which was established in 1980 and later became the Makurdi campus of the University of Jos in October, 1980.
FUAM is one of the major institutional players in the process of National and global human resource capacity building in agriculture, science, engineering and technology (ASET) for rapid economic growth.
Over the years since its establishment, the University has continued to engage in innovative research and development for uptake by farmers within, and outside North-Central Nigeria. Through collaborations and support from relevant ministries, agencies and departments (MDAs) and international organizations, its scientific community work on key practical problems confronting farmers as well as other actors along the value chain of a myriad of crops and livestock. It leverages on extension and capacity building as vehicles for transport of innovation to the vast farming communities in the region.
Objectives of Assignment
To transfer knowledge and develop public sector technical capacity in greenhouse development and management
- Improved greenhouse installation methodology
- Improved greenhouse management
- Improved water use management in greenhouse
- Improved soil management in greenhouse
- Improved integrated pests and disease control in greenhouse
- Improve environmental factors control in greenhouse
- Establishment and management of crops in greenhouse
- Improved field and greenhouse data collection methods with adequate results analysis and data base
- Capacity to execute greenhouse installation and field trial design/layout.
- Virtually or physically train and supervise field and greenhouse trainee in seeding, transplanting, pests/diseases control and crop harvest
- Capacity to install automated irrigation system in the greenhouse
- Virtually or physically train the trainees on improved environmental factors control in greenhouse
- Collaborate with trainees in collection and analysis of data result, tracking and data entry
Education and Experience
- MSc. degree and above in one or any combination of the following;
- Crop Protection
- Crop Science
- Plant Science
- Plant Breeding
- Computer skills
- 5 years of work experience in greenhouse development and management
Fluency in English Language