Kurdistan Regional Statistics Office
Background Information about Host Institution
The Kurdistan Region Statistics Office (KRSO) uses migration-related data to prepare progress reports on development goals and formulate related policy. The Executive Director of the Ministry of Planning (KRI) is a member of the migration Technical Working Group, which seeks to strengthen migration governance in Iraq.
Migration trends are a growing area of policy interest in Iraq following the displacement of people from areas affected by the conflict with ISIS. As recovery and reconstruction begins and Iraq prepares to undertake a new census, there is need to make greater use of existing migration data. The Ministry of Planning works closely with the Kurdistan Region Statistics Office (KRSO) in this area.
Organizational unit/Department: Kurdistan Regional Statistics Office
Duration of assignment: 6 weeks
Objectives of Assignment
The assignment will support the Kurdistan Regional Statistics Office (KRSO) to consistently analyse regional migration data. This will be achieved through the following three steps:
1) a desk review of migration data currently held by KRSO;
2) identifying ways the data can be used to report on indicators set by the Ministry of Planning (KRI) for its reporting on progress toward development goals;
3) hands-on training for KRSO staff on data collection, analysis and concepts.
The assignment will provide three deliverables:
1) a desk review of all existing data reported against indicators used by KRSO and the Ministry of Planning (KRI);
2) a concise report for KRSO proposing how to make use of the existing data;
3) a training for relevant ministry staff on existing migration data and concepts on data collection and analysis.
Responsibilities and Acountabilities
- Complete a desk review of all existing migration data held by KRSO
- Draft a concise report proposing ways to make use of existing data in light of needs of the KRSO
- Provide short training for relevant ministry staff on existing migration data
- Seek partnerships with universities, research institutes, and other practitioners in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KRI) to link up population research experts with KRSO
- Strong communication and leadership skills, creativity for problem-solving
- Strong general knowledge of statistics
- Knowledge of statistics computer software such as SPSS is highly desirable
Education and Experience
- University degree in Political Science, Social Science, Statistics, Evaluation or Management or a related field;
- Experience in data collection, statistics or knowledge management is considered an asset;
- Experience in population statistics, demographics or census exercises is highly desirable;
- English required
- Kurdish highly desirable