Background Information about Host Institution
Guriga Oranje (GO) is a non-profit diaspora organization that aims to advocate, promote, connect and organize Dutch-Somali communities in Somalia and in the Netherlands. ‘Guriga’ means ‘House’ in the Somali language and ‘Oranje’ means Orange in Dutch, which is the famous last name of the Dutch royal family and the colour of the nation as it is synonyms with the national identity of The Netherlands.
GO was started back in 2016 by a group of Dutch-Somalis in Mogadishu. They all had moved back to Somalia or have been here for some time.
Our members are pioneers of a ‘Made in Somalia’ brands, products, service providers in different sectors. They largely consists of business investors and professionals who play an active role in the development and recovery of Somalia economically, politically and socially.
GO builds bridges, beyond than between Somalia and the Netherlands. We believe that by bringing together a variety of people, from diverse backgrounds, contributes in the sustainable development of Somalia and connects-the-dots.
GO aims to have a collaborative relationship with Dutch Embassy, Dutch knowledge institutions, NGOs, European embassies and trade and investment promotion institutes. — This places uniquely between the public and private sector, and ushers in a significant increase of bilateral trade and investment.
The organization facilitates information and knowledge sharing to the Dutch and Somali companies/organizations and to those looking for information about business, investment opportunities in Somalia and on different thematic areas to enable more effective policy and decision-making.
Organizational Unit/Department: Management
Duration of assignment: Maximum of three months
Objectives of Assignment
The Communications Advisor will support Guriga Oranje with their communications strategies. The Advisor will put in place communications practices that improve the organizations reach and strengthen the public image of Guriga Oranje. The advisor will also aim to increase relationships with key stakeholders in order to best aid with our growth as an organization.
The Advisor will provide Guriga Oranje management with effective PR content in order to increase engagement from the Dutch-Somali community as well as provide communications that encourages the uptake of memberships. The Advisor will work closely with both the Chairman and the board in order to meet these objectives.
- Forming and developing systems for effectively improving the communications strategy of the organization.
- Creating and implementing a website to increase digital presence
- Preparing and writing organizational documents that provide analysis on the effectiveness of publicity campaigns and engagement
- Preparing written documents of different for the management
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Provide management with advice on how to create and plan public relations strategies that enhance brand image and voice
- Provide GO with advice on how to ensure digital media posts and content aligns with the organizations message and objectives
- Writing publicity content such as press releases, newsletters, speeches and website posts
- Attending conferences and media events on behalf of the organization
- Generating relationships with media to promote GO’s image
- Undertake any other activities as requested by the management and board
- Ability to communicate effectively with management
- Ability to identify and set priorities, plan and effectively
- Ability to work collaboratively within work teams
- Ability to participate in discussions and group work
- Ability to be sensitive to community needs
- Ability to work on tight deadlines and high demand
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Ability to be flexible and punctual
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills with impeccable multi-tasking abilities
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite (Primarily Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook)
- Capable of working both independently and collaboratively as part of a wider team.
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree or Bachelor’s with minimum 1-2 years’ experience.
- Ability to organize and coordinate community and manage meetings.
- Proven track record meeting project deadlines
- Experience in working with local organisations/NGO’s, and international organizations.
- Previous experience working with the diaspora community is an advantage
Fluency in written and spoken Somali and English are essential.