Website Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MoPWRH) Southwest State
The Ministry of Public Works, Construction and Housing Southwest State was formed on 3rd March 2015 during the establishment of the Southwest State and is one of the key infrastructure Ministries in terms of the rebuilding of the country. By developing more effective, efficient, accountable and inclusive institutions, the Ministry will be better positioned to deliver much needed infrastructure and services at State Level.
The Ministry of Public Works has a mandate for the rebuilding and rehabilitation of State level institutional buildings and infrastructures of the Southwest State in an effective and efficient way. The Ministry of Public Works has always been the custodian authority of all but not limited to, infrastructure, buildings, bridges, highways and roads, land plots and spaces owned by the central and regional governments. Delivery and support of services, and where necessary, regulation of any entity or individuals that have business-related matters within the state.
The Ministry of Public works, Reconstruction & Housing plays a pivotal role performance both for the public and private sectors of Southwest State Somalia. This critical role requires a results orientated approach in program design and implementation.
The Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MoPWRH) Southwest State currently has an office in Baidoo District, and has sub-offices in all districts of Southwest State of Somalia.
Organizational unit/ Department: Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MoPWRH) Southwest State, within the Department of Planning, and Development and Quality of Institutional Building and operational development.
Title: Urban Planning Technical Advisor
Duration of assignment (max 3 months)
Objectives of Assignment
The overall objective of CD4D2 is to promote the active role of diaspora in developing capacity at targeted sectors and institutions in selected target countries. Somalia is one of the target locations for the project. CD4D2 is a comprehensive diaspora engagement programme that is built on knowledge and skills transfer.
The primary objective is to review current polices and develop new polices required by the Ministry of Public Works. Furthermore, institutional capacity building for the current staff and strengthened thematic priority needs of the Ministry of Public Works of Southwest State Somalia is also sought.
- Communication: speaks and writes clearly and effectively, listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication, adapts language and format to match the audience and demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Teamwork: works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals, solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others, places team agenda before personal agenda, supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position, and shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings; Client
- Orientation: considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view, establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect, identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions, monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems, keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects, and meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client;
- Technological Awareness: keeps abreast of available technology, understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office, actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks and shows willingness to learn new technology
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Propose institutional strengthening recommendations and measures to improve efficiency and productivity of CSB divisions
- Capacity Needs assessment for key priority needs for the Ministry of Public Works of Southwest State,
- Develop a Work Plan outlining the methodology, approach, timeline, resources and risk and mitigation strategy for the consultancy for review and approval of MOPW, the work plan will define detailed deliverables and will be developed in taking into account also the work to be developed by the MoPW consultants for the development of a roadmap for the Southwest Urban Policy and development of City Planning Law. The work plan will also include a risk and mitigation strategy taking into account also precautionary measure for the Corona virus pandemic which may result in delays and postponement of the activities;
- Develop a Consultations plan to engage with State Level and local authorities, the consultation plan will have to take into account precautionary measure for the Corona virus pandemic, using online and telematic tools as the main communication channel;
- Organize engagement activities and consultation with state and local authorities and other relevant stakeholders;
- Develop a discussion paper on Southwest Urban Policy, including consideration for policy problem, challenge and opportunity identification, policy goal definition, stakeholder and institution mapping and analysis;
- Develop a White paper on Urban Planning Processes in Southwest State;
- Draft a Roadmap for the Southwest Land Policy and validate it;
- Develop a Concept note for the high-level technical dialogue on Urban Planning with link to the roadmap for the Southwest Land Law;
- Support the organization and conduction of the high-level technical dialogue on Urban Planning, and develop a framework for future high-level technical dialogue forums;
- Lead and coordinate the development of the Southwest Urban Development Plan with the support of the MoPW consultants for the Southwest Land Policy and the City Planning Law.
Education and Experience
The candidate will be expected to have the following minimum qualifications and experience:
- A master’s degree in urban planning, political science/international relations, post conflict management, law or any other relevant field. Specialization in land law is an advantage. Work Experience,
- A minimum of 7-10 years of demonstrable experience in working experience in urban planning, land management and local governance matters. Work experience in government sector, policy development and research are an advantage.
- Practical experience in designing and implementing results management and monitoring and evaluation systems, data collection and analysis, results reporting;
- Good analytical and technical report writing skills
- Excellent communication skills: speaking, writing, and listening;
- Excellent computer skills
Fluency in English and Somali