Website National Horticulture Research Institute (NIHORT)
Please check the General Requirements before applying and note in particular that the assignments are only open to Dutch nationals, or those with residence in the Netherlands, and in some cases nationals or residents of other EU countries
National Horticulture Research Institute (NIHORT)
Duration of Assignment
From: 15 January 2021
To: 15 April 2021
Type of assignment; Virtual or physical (depending on pandemic and expert’s preference)
Background Information about Host Institution
The National Horticultural Research Institute (Headquarter); located in Ibadan was established in 1975 with the assistance of United Nations Development Programme in conjunction with Food and Agricultural Organization as fruits and vegetables research and demonstration centre.
It acquired the status of a national institute in June 1976.The Institute’s headquarter is situated on a 350-hectares of land at Jericho Reservation Area, Idi-Ishin, Ibadan, in the rainforest agro-ecological zone of South Western Nigeria. To give a national outlook, the institute has two substations located in Mbato-Okigwe, Imo state in South Eastern Nigeria and the other at Bagauda, Kano state.
Objectives of Assignment
To transfer knowledge and develop public sector capacity in tomato seed breeding technology
- Improved Tomato seed breeding program;
- Improved Tomato seed management and movement;
- Increased Tomato yield potential (Size and Quantity);
- Improved Product development;
- Improved Product management;
- Improved field and greenhouse data collection with adequate results analysis and Database Management
- Improved seed harvesting and seed storage
- Improved use of the Breeding Management System (BMS)
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following technical competencies:
- Capacity to virtually assist the trainee tomato breeding team to improve seed production, variety trials and release, and product development
- Capacity to virtually execute greenhouse and field trial design, employing statistically valid design tools when necessary.
- Virtually supervise field and greenhouse trainees in seeding, transplanting, crossing blocks, and seed harvest;
- Collaborate with trainee breeders in collection and analysis of data, result tracking and data entry
- Take up additional responsibilities and act in trainee breeder’s place as necessary
- Capacity to increase genetic gain in breeding program
- Capacity to integrate modern genomic tools in breeding program.
Education and Experience
B.Sc. Degree & above in one, or any combination of the following:
- Plant Breeding
- Plant Science
- Crop science
- Statistics (must be combined with any of the above)
- Computer skill
- 4 years’ experience in conducting research, providing short term trainings
- Demonstrated 3 years’ experience in project management and implementation
- Experience in an applied plant breeding program is preferable.
- Understanding of basic principles of plant breeding and Mendelian genetics is desirable
- Knowledge of Nigeria’s climate and Agricultural factors is desirable
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of Local Language is an advantage