Website The Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) Authority
Name of host institution: The Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) Authority
Background Information about Host Institution
In early 2020, the Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) Authority was officially endorsed by the Afghan Parliament as an independent entity. TVET is currently being provided by both public as well as private institutions. The majority of the formal public TVET service providers are under the authority of the TVET Authority; however, there are several public TVET institutions which are under the authority of other government ministries. Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) is a priority of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan. The TVET Authority has made efforts to bring reforms to TVET delivery that could result in greater provision of skilled human capital vital for the economic development.
The TVET Authority is actively seeking to build domain specific partnership with regional and international partners whereby a specific sector would be supported by a particular partner. This engagement would result in providing better quality TVET education and strengthening coordinated partnership.
Organizational unit/Department: Teacher Training Department
Duration of assignment: The duration of assignment is 3 months. The exact date will be identified later upon mutual agreement.
Objectives of Assignment
The Teacher Training Specialist will lead efforts to identify, design, develop, improve and implement new and existing Training of Trainers and Workforce Development programs for the TVET Authority. The Specialist will develop a comprehensive package of best teacher training modules for TVET teachers aligned to the Afghanistan National Qualification Framework (ANQF) and the specific skill requirements of each industry. The incumbent will also develop modules for Training of Master Trainers. He or she will also be responsible for his or her capacity transfer to one or two national colleagues at the TVET Authority.
- TVET teacher training policy and implementation plan
- Individual capacity transfer plan
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Lead the establishment and/or strengthening of the existing TVET teacher training programs/colleges.
- Design short term residential courses and Continuing Professional Development which includes mentoring, peer coaching, and communities of practice.
- Ensure content of Teacher Training modules is relevant and responsive to modern pedagogy based on constructivism, experiential learning and adult learning theory.
- Assist with the design of a system of support and supervision to ensure teachers are implementing what has been learned in courses.
- Establish teacher performance evaluation and certification system.
- Team player
- Task oriented
- Be a subject matter expert i.e have proven track record in teacher training
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in education or related field.
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience in implementing and managing education improvement programs in developing countries.
- Familiarity with USAID policies and procedures.
- Experience in managing complex projects of similar scale, particularly in transitional, post-conflict and/or Islamic countries.
- Experience in teacher training and capacity building of local government departments and NGOs.
- Experience in building and effectively supervising a substantially diverse team of employees spread across an expansive region.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills, proactive, creative problem solving and ethical management.
- Demonstrated exemplary diplomatic, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Organizational acumen and cultural sensitivity.
English, Dari and Pashto would be an advantage.
Please send the terms of reference to:
Zia Gulam zgulam@IOM.INT