Ministry of Water Resources Development
Background Information about the Host Institution
The Ministry of Water Resources Development is the national lead agency for the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) sector and its mandated to ensure that Somaliland citizens have easy access to clean, adequate and affordable WASH facilities in a sustainable and environmentally friendly manner.
Pursuant to the Somaliland Water Act 2010 (Law No. 49), the Ministry of Water Development is solely responsible for the water resources development and management of national water resources and is mandated to act on behalf of the Government of Somaliland in all matters relating to Water Resources.
The Ministry’s strategic purposes include:
- Development of underground and surface water resources.
- Improvement of regulatory framework and oversight of the water sector and sustainable management.
- Strengthening capacity of MoWRD and its constituent bodies.
- Coordination and information management of the sector in Somaliland.
- Converting floods from forces of disaster into livelihoods
- Mitigation of droughts and impacts of climatic and environmental changes to national water resources.
Organizational unit/Department: Office of the Director General
Objectives of Assignment
The Ministry of Water Resources Development is mandated to increase the availability of clean water. The Ministry of Water Resources Development gets its budget from the central government. However, the needs are greater then the scope which the current budget of the MoWRD can finance. The Ministry of Water Resource Development is, therefore, necessitated to improve its resources by conducting internal resource mobilization, external resource mobilization and improving revenue collections. This assignment will contribute the above mentioned broader efforts to increase MoWRD capacity to find more resources so that it can finance the much needed projects.
- Helping Water Agencies improve timely, accurate and proactive management of all aspects of their Agency’s in coordination with the MoWRD headquarter. Provide the offices and staff responsible for their finance departments the best advise on technical financial management.
- Review the revenue collections, and recommend ways to improve the revenue collections of the agencies.
- Help the agencies to establish ways to record the acquisition of capital assets and ensure that assets are properly recorded, amortized, and disposed of as appropriate.
- Support the water agencies maintain and oversee financial accounting systems for cash management, accounts payable, accounts receivable, journal entries.
- Review the process of Documentation and maintenance of complete and accurate
supporting information for all financial transactions which Water Agencies have in place and recommend improvements where possible. Support the Water Agencies’ procurement offices by adopting best practices. Preparing written document of different organizational processes for the management of the Water Agencies.
- Reviewing the revenue collection systems for water agencies and help them improve their systems and revenue collection. Help water agencies with their efforts/responsibilities in reporting, documentation, regulatory and compliance issues.
Responsibilities and accountabilities
- Improve the quality of documentation and reporting.
- Reviewing the systems which water agencies use for their financial management
- Providing Microsoft office software training to the relevant staff.
- Improving monthly and quarterly reporting of the water agencies ( mentoring relevant staff)
- Improving revenue collections by setting up KPI, this will involve training relevant staff
- Time Management
- Innovation: Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Organizational Design: Ability to align resources and organizational structures as well as work. approaches and culture to enable global collaboration with clear accountability.
- Leadership: Ability to persuade others to follow.
- People Management: Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Communication: Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Delivery: Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
- Change Management: Ability to apply a systematic approach to adapt, control and effect change.
- Strategic Planning / Visioning: Ability to analyze the organization’s value proposition and shape visionary/long term plans.
- Good communication & interpersonal ability
- Positive attitude
- The expert should have solid experience of organizational management.
- The expert must possess excellent knowledge and expertise in financial management.
- The expert must have good knowledge of Microsoft Office Software and other systems.
- Excellent communication skills, with proven track record of working and managing people.
- The expert should Proactively work with others to achieve individual and team objectives; Suggests ways of improving the quality of the work in the department responsible for financial management in these agencies.
- The expert should provide expert advise to the local staff, in order to leave a legacy.
- The expert should actively contribute to the work of the team and set a good example; accepts responsibility for own decisions. Moreover, the expert
- The expert should be experienced and trains others in their own area of work.
Education and Experience
Good degree in Economics, Finance, or any other relevant field.
- English: Fluent
- Somali: Fluent
- Other foreign languages are desirable, such as Arabic.