Background Information about Host Institution
Guriga Oranje (GO) is a non-profit diaspora organization that aims to advocate, promote, connect and organize Dutch-Somali communities in Somalia and in the Netherlands. ‘Guriga’ means ‘House’ in the Somali language and ‘Oranje’ means Orange in Dutch, which is the famous last name of the Dutch royal family and the colour of the nation as it is synonyms with the national identity of The Netherlands.
GO was started back in 2016 by a group of Dutch-Somalis in Mogadishu. They all had moved back to Somalia or have been here for some time.
Our members are pioneers of a ‘Made in Somalia’ brands, products, service providers in different sectors. They largely consists of business investors and professionals who play an active role in the development and recovery of Somalia economically, politically and socially.
GO builds bridges, beyond than between Somalia and the Netherlands. We believe that by bringing together a variety of people, from diverse backgrounds, contributes in the sustainable development of Somalia and connects-the-dots.
GO aims to have a collaborative relationship with Dutch Embassy, Dutch knowledge institutions, NGOs, European embassies and trade and investment promotion institutes. — This places uniquely between the public and private sector, and ushers in a significant increase of bilateral trade and investment.
The organization facilitates information and knowledge sharing to the Dutch and Somali companies/organizations and to those looking for information about business, investment opportunities in Somalia and on different thematic areas to enable more effective policy and decision-making.
Organizational Building Advisor
Organizational Unit/Department: Management
Duration of assignment: Maximum of three months
Objectives of Assignment
The Organizational Building Advisor will support Guriga Oranje with building the organizational structures and systems. The Advisor will assist us put work structures in place including preparations of task division for the different layers within the organization.
The Advisor will advice GO management on how to organize and manage the activities efficiently and effectively including the mobilization, registration and management of members. The Advisor will work closely with the Chairman and in general with the board of the organization to set up organizational systems and structures in place .
- Forming and developing systems for effectively improving the functioning of the organization.
- Preparing and writing organizational documents that describe the different tasks and responsibilities of each department of the organization
- Assisting the management with the creation of work break-down structure and scheduling of work related tasks
- Preparing written document of different organizational processes for the management
- Assisting the organization with other daily activities
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Provides advice on organisational structuring to the board and management
- Provides advice on the development of strategies concerning membership registration and management
- Supports the management on setting up systems for registering and build networks for individuals, businesses from the Dutch diaspora community in Somalia and in the Netherlands
- Represents GO and actively participates in national and international meetings/conferences
- Undertake any other activities as requested by the management and board
- Ability to communicate effectively with management
- Ability to identify and set priorities, plan and effectively
- Ability to work collaboratively within work teams
- Ability to participate in discussions and group work
- Ability to be sensitive to community needs
- Ability to work on tight deadlines and high demand
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Ability to be flexible and punctual
- Excellent verbal, written, presentation and communication skills
- Strong organizational, project management and problem-solving skills with impeccable multi-tasking abilities
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite (Primarily Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook)
- Capable of working independently and collaboratively as part of a wider team.
Education and Experience
- 3-5 years related work experience in Organizational/institutional building and Project Management role.
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Ability to organize and coordinate community and manage meetings.
- Proven track record meeting project deadlines.
- Experience in working with local organisations/NGO’s, and international organizations. Working with diaspora community is an advantage
Fluency in written and spoken Somali and English are essential.