Benadir Regional Administration and Municipality of Mogadishu
Benadir Regional Administration and Municipality of Mogadishu
Background Information about Host Institution
Benadir Regional Administration and Municipality of Mogadishu, Mogadishu City, are the oldest amongst the Principality’s institutions and within all the Somali Regions. Its staff of almost 3,000 work within 62 different departmental municipal services that are deployed over 5 main action areas; such as Social services and awareness; Administration and finance; Political affairs and security; and Public works, Housing and Reconstruction. Joining the Benadir Regional Authority and Municipality of Mogadishu means being part of the development of a dynamic Benadir Region where the contribution of each staff member is promoted and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of shared goals and vision.
We are in need of Municipal Service Delivery Expert who will be responsible to coordinate and implement the operations related to Benadir Regional Authority’s service delivery programmes in the county by incorporating best practices approaches in the delivery of assigned functions. The Municipal service delivery expert will be based in the coordination office in Municipality’s headquarters with missions in operational offices in line ministries. She/he will be under the direct line management of the Department of Programs and Regional Development and working in coordination with the Deputy Mayor of Social Service and Awareness’s, Deputy Mayor of Administration and Finance, Deputy Mayor of Public Works, Housing and Reconstruction, Deputy Mayor of Policy and Security, the Secretary General of Benadir Regional Authority and Governor/Mayor of Mogadishu.
Duration of assignment: 3 months
Objectives of Assignment
The Municipal Service Delivery Expert shall be tasked with the overall responsibility of overseeing the quality and timely implementation of the service delivery project’s activities in Mogadishu, following the work plan agreed upon by the Director of Department of Programs and Regional Development in BRA.
- Technical support and guidance to institutionalize the Departmental Service Rooms in selected municipalities to improve public services delivery (with the specific focus on the gender/age and ethnic diversity responsive approaches);
- Assessment and analysis of the effectiveness of the Departmental Service Rooms, including consideration of specific Needs of rural women, children and youth, and ethnic diversity groups;
- Support to LGs to raise awareness of right-holders about the Departmental Service Rooms with specific focus on Women, children and youth, ethnic diversity groups and popularizing the concept.
- Community Service Room’s Hand Book will be finalized;
- Departmental Service Room’s evaluation form will be developed
- Information regarding Departmental Service Rooms will be highlighted through media
- The analysis of effectiveness of the Departmental Service Rooms and level of citizens’ satisfaction with the public service delivery will be conducted.
- Final report on the activities implemented will be submitted and approved by the Governor and Mayor of Mogadishu.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Municipal Service delivery will be supported in the following areas;
- Develop the evaluation form to assess the effectiveness of the Departmental Service Rooms and level of citizens’ satisfaction with the gender responsive public service delivery, All data should be gender and age disaggregated in order to evaluate access of women, children and youth to public service delivery;
- Consult and guide the local authority’s staff to conduct the assessment in the targeted municipalities; taking into consideration of the following indicators:
- Progress dynamics and level of citizens’ satisfaction (with disaggregation of data by gender and age) with the access to gender responsive public services;
- Demographical composition of public service recipients (data disaggregated by age/gender/ethnicity);
- The obstacles for effective operation of the Community Service Rooms;
- The availability of LG regulations to support and operationalize the Departmental Service Rooms;
- Feedbacks, recommendations and suggestions for further effective operation of the Departmental Service Rooms;
- Facilitate the review and discussions regarding the Departmental Service Rooms’ practice in close cooperation with the State Agency for LG and Interethnic relations, district authorities (on the example of the Departmental Service Rooms from the targeted municipality);
- Finalize the Hand Book on establishment of the Departmental Service Rooms and share it with local government agencies in Mogadishu;
- Provide technical support and consultancy to the LGs regarding maintenance and sustainable operation of the Departmental Service Rooms;
- Facilitate the orientation meetings to raise awareness of publicity (women’s and youth groups should be not less than 50%) regarding the philosophy of Departmental Service Rooms;
- Closely coordinate with national partners, Capacity Development Agents (CDA) and other project beneficiaries at national and local levels;
- Manage, maintain and develop information systems to ensure accurate, timely and complete data and information for assessments, monitoring and evaluation, internal and external reporting, planning, decision-making and program learning
Staff Capacity Building will be supported in the following areas;
- Task delegation to staff, provide day to day support to the departmental team
- Explore capacity building and learning opportunities for departmental team
- Build capacity of BRA Department’s team through training sessions, mentoring and coaching in the areas of service delivery and reporting
Skills and Abilities:
- Experience of managing or leading Municipal Service Delivery programs
- Excellent program development, proposal and report writing skills
- Experience or familiarity with requirement of institutional donors e.g., USAID, EU, IOM, UNHCR and other Humanitarian Agencies
- Ability to guarantee effective and timely outputs
- Highly developed budget monitoring and management skills
- Strong commitment to support/develop capacity of national staff and developing second layer of leadership
- Proven management ability and inter-personal skills -team player
- Problem solving and leadership skills
- Proficiency in most common computer software including word processing, spreadsheets
- Ability to deal with difficult, often frustrating work situations
- A willingness to live and work in insecure environment with movement restrictions
- Demonstrates integrity concerning NGO values and ethical standards
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism
- Valid driving license
Education and Experience
Qualifications and Knowledge:
- Masters degree in project management, urban (municipal) and regional planning, international development, public administration business science, social science or other relevant area or equivalent professional experience
- Relevant knowledge and experience in good governance is an asset
- Computer skills, in particular MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, MS Project
- Five years experience in Municipal Service Delivery with excellent professional track record with at least three years of international management level experience within Local Government leadership working in service delivery program implementation within conflict or immediate post conflict environments.
Fluency in written and spoken English and Somali