Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi (FUAM)
Organizational unit/ Department: Department of Crop and Environmental Protection, Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi (FUAM)
Duration of assignment: 1 March, 2022- 31 May, 2022
Type of assignment: Virtual or physical (depending on pandemic and expert’s preference)
Background Information about Host Institution
The Federal University of Agriculture Makurdi (FUAM) established on 1st of January, 1988 had evolved from the defunct Federal University of Technology which was established in 1980 and later became the Makurdi campus of the University of Jos in October, 1980.
FUAM is one of the major institutional players in the process of National and global human resource capacity building in agriculture, science, engineering and technology (ASET) for rapid economic growth.
Over the years since its establishment, the University has continued to engage in innovative research and development for uptake by farmers within, and outside North-Central Nigeria. Through collaborations and support from relevant ministries, agencies and departments (MDAs) and international organizations, its scientific community work on key practical problems confronting farmers as well as other actors along the value chain of a myriad of crops and livestock. It leverages on extension and capacity building as vehicles for transport of innovation to the vast farming communities in the region.
Objective of Assignment
To transfer knowledge and develop public sector capacity in tomato seed breeding technology
- Improved Tomato seed breeding program;
- Improved Tomato seed management and movement;
- Increased Tomato yield potential (Size and Quantity);
- Improved Product development;
- Improved Product management;
- Improved field and greenhouse data collection with adequate results analysis and Database Management
- Improved seed harvesting and seed storage
- Improved use of the Breeding Management System (BMS)
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following technical competencies:
- Capacity to virtually or physically assist the trainee tomato breeding team to improve seed production, variety trials and release, and product development
- Capacity to execute greenhouse and field trial design, employing statistically valid design tools when necessary.
- Virtually supervise field and greenhouse trainees in seeding, transplanting, crossing blocks, and seed harvest;
- Collaborate with trainee breeders in collection and analysis of data, result tracking and data entry
- Take up additional responsibilities and act in trainee breeder’s place as necessary
- Capacity to increase genetic gain in breeding program
- Capacity to integrate modern genomic tools in breeding program.
Education and Experience
- B.Sc. Degree & above in one, or any combination of the following:
- Plant Breeding
- Plant Science
- Crop science
- Statistics (must be combined with any of the above)
- Computer skills
- 4 years’ experience in conducting research, providing short term trainings
- Demonstrated 3 years’ experience in project management and implementation
- Experience in an applied plant breeding program is preferable.
- Understanding of basic principles of plant breeding and Mendelian genetics is desirable
- Knowledge of Nigeria’s climate and Agricultural factors is desirable
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of Local Language is an advantage