Federal Ministry of Planning, Investment and Economic Development
Background information about the host institution
About the Federal Ministry of Planning, Investment and Economic Development (MoPIED):
- The Federal Ministry of Planning, Investment and Economic Development (MoPIED) is responsible for planning, coordinating and executing strategic economic and developmental policies across Somalia.
- MoPIED assesses and implements paths to economic growth and sector-specific plans.
- The Ministry has five main departments: the National Planning Department, Economic Development Department, National Investment Promotion Department, National Monitoring & Evaluation Department, and Admin and Finance Department.
About the Economic Development Department (EcoDev)
- The department coordinates and researches economic policies in Somalia.
- EcoDev creates a comprehensive database with information about Somalia’s economy and society.
- EcoDev provides evidence-based information and analytical tools to improve sector-specific development.
- EcoDev creates new strategies and policies to optimize employment opportunities, productivity, and economic growth.
- EcoDev develops a coherent national economic agenda together with all government institutions.
- EcoDev contributes to higher living standards of the population and human development.
- Duration of the assignment: 3 months.
Objectives of assignment
The objective of the assignment is to support the EcoDev through coordinating, creating, integrating and strengthening economic policy frameworks. The department wants to establish a foundation for sustainable job growth and develop durable regional economies through regional collaboration.
- Advice and provide support for EcoDev
- Support the quality of management
- Develop and implement systems to improve economic development and policy coordination within MoPIED
- Support to oversee the timely and accurate preparation of annal economic reports and news reports in Somalia
- Proactively contribute to skills transfer regarding effective and efficient use of resources in projects
- Any other economic development analysis and policy coordination tasks as requested
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Coordinate current economic policies to achieve national development goals
- Investigate and coordinate Somalia’s sectoral, micro-, meso- and macroeconomic issues
- Collect statistics on Somalia’s socioeconomic trajectory through independent study and partnership with the Somali National Bureau of Statistics
- Conduct research on economic and societal opportunities of vulnerable groups, minorities, and gender to develop inclusive economic policies and strategic interventions
- Publish data-driven reports and policy recommendations across government agencies
- Coordinate economic policies which are designed to reduce poverty across Somalia
- Provide input for the federal line of ministries, FMS, and international partners
- Harness resilient policies which foster economic growth, employment opportunities and prosperity amongst poorer segments of society
- Improve regional economic integration vis-à-vis knowledge transfer, apprenticeship, and close cooperation between ministries on FGS and FMS levels
Skills and Abilities
- Organizational skills and being able to contribute to various projects at the same time, while encouraging quality, team spirit, and great working relationships
- Capability to think strategically and maintain positive connections with partner organizations, funders, and national authorities
- Ability to establish collaborations and professional relationships with decision-makers and leaders
- Ability to utilize corporate networks
- Ability to work under pressure
- Promotes equal treatment without favoritism
Education and Experience
- A master’s degree in economics, political economy, international relations, statistics or data management
- Knowledge and expertise in effective governance are valuable assets
- Computer skills, knowledge on how to work with MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook and MS Project
- At least five years of experience in working on development projects in an international organization, government institution or other comparable organization
- Fluency in written and spoken English