Website Central Statistics Office (CSO)
Background Information about Host Institution
The Central Statistics Office (CSO) uses migration-related data to prepare progress reports on development goals and formulate related policy. The CSO has focal points in other ministries engaged in migration data collection. The CSO is a member of the migration Technical Working Group, which seeks to strengthen migration governance in Iraq.
Migration trends are a growing area of policy interest in Iraq following the displacement of people from areas affected by the conflict with ISIS. As recovery and reconstruction begins and Iraq prepares to undertake a new census, there is need to make greater use of existing migration data. The CSO works closely with the Ministry of Planning in this area.
Organizational unit/ Department: Central Statistics Office
Duration of assignment: 6 weeks
Objectives of Assignment
The assignment will support the Central Statistics Office (CSO) to consistently analyse national migration data, especially through making use of the CSO statistician focal points in other ministries who are engaged in collection of migration data for the Government of Iraq. This will be achieved through the following three steps:
1) a desk review of migration data currently held by CSO and its statistician focal points in other ministries;
2) identifying ways the data can be used to report on indicators set by the Ministry of Planning for its reporting on progress toward development goals;
3) hands-on training for CSO staff and its network of statistician focal points in other ministries on data collection, analysis and concepts.
The assignment will provide three deliverables:
1) a desk review of all existing data reported against indicators used by CSO and the Ministry of Planning;
2) a concise report for CSO proposing how to make use of the existing data;
3) a training for CSO focal points inside CSO as well as statisticians in other ministries on existing migration data and concepts on data collection and analysis.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Complete a desk review of all existing migration data held by CSO and CSO focal points in other ministries
- Draft a concise report proposing ways to make use of existing data in light of needs of the CSO and Ministry of Planning
- Provide short training for CSO staff and CSO statistician focal points in other ministries on existing migration data
- Seek partnerships with universities, research institutes, and other practitioners in Iraq to link up population research experts with CSO
- Strong communication and leadership skills, creativity for problem-solving
- Strong general knowledge of statistics
- Knowledge of statistics computer software such as SPSS is highly desirable
Education and Experience
- University degree in Political Science, Social Science, Statistics, Evaluation or Management or a related field;
- Experience in population statistics, data collection, or knowledge management is considered an asset;
- Experience in population statistics, demographics or census exercises is highly desirable.
- Arabic required
- English highly desirable