Ministry of Interior and Local Government
Background information about host institution
The Ministry of Interior (MoI) has the mandate to oversee the administration and internal security of the State including maintaining peace and stability of the State, undertaking general administration of the national police force, providing a leading and organizing role in the coherence of communities, controlling and supervising the stability of the national borders, and control and supervising functions of the regions and districts. As a key Ministry, it is entrusted with playing an important role in improving the quality and standards of life of urban and rural communities in Somaliland. The Ministry is responsible for the supervision of local governments, designing and implementation of local governance systems, policies and legal frameworks, local government capacity development agenda and for ensuring decentralized service delivery at the local level.
In addition, it is the government institution mandated to take the lead for coordinating and ensuring equitable and fair access to external aid aimed at improving the livelihood of Somaliland people. It also has regulatory and oversight roles as well as guidance and technical advice to local and international partners/counterparts
The Ministry is composed of different departments that closely collaborate. This position will work under the overall guidance of the DG of the Ministry and the supervision of the Director of Regions and Districts Development.
Duration of assignment: Maximum of three months
Objectives of Assignment
The main purpose of the assignment is to build a resource center for the Ministry under the Regions and Districts Development Department in order to thoroughly keep all the core LG library material including laws, policies, ministerial Local Government degrees, manuals and training modules.
The Archive and Documentation Expert will be responsible for the establishment of a Resource Center for the Ministry’s effort to collect and keep all local government related and others documentation in one space, including:
- Establishment of Ministry’s Resource Center
- Develop an archiving and documentation integrity policy and guidelines
- Propose an archiving and documentation approach applicable to the Ministry.
- On the job training for the Ministry’s staff on the Archiving and documentation systems, best practices combined with local context expertise.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Developing and organizing an archiving system.
- Proposing a labeling, sorting and categorizing criteria for the documents for ease of use.
- Establishing a system to retrieve documents and outlining a long-term storage strategy.
- Building the capacity of the Capacity Development Section and closely working with them to ensure consistency of documentation practice across the Ministry.
- Training employees on efficient documentation usage while also Assisting with both internal and external audits.
- Developing documentation integrity policy with control access to documents.
- Provide a coordinated and standardized approach to local government staff training and capacity development, and any other tasks as may be entrusted by the Ministry from time to time.
- Demonstrates integrity, impartiality, fairness, honesty and truthfulness in daily activities and behaviors
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Leads teams effectively and shows mentoring as well as conflict resolution
- Consistently approaches work with energy and positive and constructive attitude
- Good knowledge and use of MS Office programs
- Meticulous in document tracking and reporting
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize, work independently, and meet deadlines
- Attention to detail
Education and Experience
- At least a master’s degree relevant to the position
- 8+ years’ work experience institutional capacity development roles
- English: Fluent
- Somali: Fluent