Ministry of Public Work, Land and Housing
Ministry of Public Work, Land and Housing, Ahmed Dhagah District, Hargeisa Somaliland
Focal Point at Host Institution
Essa Mohamoud, Essamohamoud@gmail.com
Background Information about Host Institution
The Somaliland Ministry of Public Works, Land and Housing is a government institution that exists to formulate policies, plans, set standards, build capacity, and has a mandate for all governmental properties. This includes operational governmental buildings, as well as historical heritage buildings and land. The Ministry also provides policy and strategic guidance to several departments within the Government and it works in close cooperation with all municipalities across the nation.
The mandates of the Ministry Public Works, Land and Housing include:
- Overseeing personnel within the public work departments including, developing government land allocation policy, maintenance of the city’s public buildings services such as public buildings, construction safety and heritage sites
- Setting up Town Planning and the formulation of the construction laws.
- Safeguarding and protecting the general town plans from violations and alterations.
- Archive Management: The Ministry of Public Work Land and Housing will always keep in its archives the Original Copies of all town plans in the country, while some other copies will be distributed to the local municipalities throughout the country for them to govern their land issues
Organizational unit/ Department: Building Department.
Duration of assignment 3 Months
Objectives of Assignment
Under the guidance of the Minister of Public Works, Land and Housing, the Architect consultant will work on a variety of medium to large scale projects. The duties of the consultant will involve managing multiple projects, liaising with stakeholders, initiating building design guidelines, as well as preparing and reviewing building construction designs submitted to the Ministry.
The main tasks of the consultant will be;
- Preparing and reviewing building designs fit for their intended objective.
- Analyse the designs to ensure they reflect the needs of disabled people.
- Encourage more creativity and artistic elements within government premises
- Provide technical advice on architectural issues
- Work on developing excellent and aesthetically appealing designs.
- Collating data, undertaking analysis and writing reports on natural ventilation and lighting to minimize energy consumption.
- Design attractive buildings using the appropriate software such as AutoCAD, Revit, Civil 3D etc.
- Travel to site with potential overnight stays for site visits.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Become an expert on local building and zoning codes, land use policies and environmental regulations through meetings with interested parties and independent research
- Conduct studies, surveys and other investigations on locally available construction material as effective input for modern buildings.
- Analyse data to determine and recommend an appropriate course of action in each facet of building development, including project scope, electricity consumption, water and waste management
- Lead team in researching, applying for and obtaining approvals, permits and certifications from relevant granting authorities, presenting survey and feasibility study reports and meeting with public officials as necessary
- Represent the Ministry of Public Works, Land and Housing in a professional capacity as we collaborate with city, county and state representatives, attorneys, engineers, local transportation and port authority personnel, as well as local business people and the general public
- Supervise, direct and mentor junior team members, including entry-level planning and engineering staff
- Coordinate and oversee committees and monitor their progress
The resource person is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ability to assess the extent of a problem including political, social and environmental factors
- Ability to share the results of policies and plans
- Ability to recognize and account for limitations in findings
- Ability to identify criteria for proposing and selecting solutions.
- Decision-making skills and the ability to work independently
- Ability to identify and assess data sources and limitations
- Direct observation of primary and secondary qualitative data.
Education and Experience
- Master Degree in Architecture/Engineering etc.
- Professional work experience of 3-4 years as an architect and evidence of successfully implemented projects
- Working knowledge of ARCHICAD, with proficiency in creating sophisticated visual images and attractive buildings.
- Proficiency on working with AutoCAD, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator and Microsoft Office
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with an aptitude for research.
- English: Good
- Somali: Good