The ED4D project started off with 20 entrepreneurs per country who benefitted from training and mentoring to enable them to refine their business plan. This group of 20 per country has been narrowed down to 10 by a selection jury, composed of IOM, PUM, Zidicircle and the Ethiopian Embassy (for Ethiopia). The choice of these finalists was based on the review of their business plans, the mentoring feedback and their participation and input during the training.
All participants have put significant efforts in their business plans and the selection was difficult. Those who have not made it to the final 10 are still encouraged to pursue their plans and will still be supported by the programme wherever possible. Those who have made it to the final stage will be able to join a go-and-see mission to Ghana or Ethiopia.
The Go-and-See-Missions are prepared by the IOM Offices in Ghana and Ethiopia respectively and build on five pillars:
- Business registration and formalities (PRACTICAL)
- Existing institutional support policies or schemes (INSTITUTIONAL)
- The existing financial ecosystem in terms of finance opportunities for diaspora entrepreneurs/SMEs (FINANCIAL)
- Opportunities to further mature the business/idea locally in incubators/accelerators (CREATIVE)
- Diaspora entrepreneurs as role models (INSPIRATIONAL)
The missions were initially planned for March/April and will need to be postponed due to COVID19 until it is safe again to travel. Let us hope that will be possible in May or June 2020. We will keep you updated.