DIASPORA IN ACTION
Tuesday 30 October 2018
09:00 – 17:00
Hoge Zand 42
2512 EM The Hague
The conference will be kicked off with keynote speeches followed by two expert panel sessions and two interactive workshop rounds.Each active CD4D country will be presented through a short introductory video and a CD4D participant. Registration for the workshops will be open soon. Participants will be notified of additional information in the coming weeks.
The event will be moderated by Georgina Kwakye.
Georgina Kwakye is an actress, presenter and trainer. She founded the Pimp my Village crowdfunding platform. As a half-Ghanaian and Hungarian, she is passionate about contributing to development projects. Through her media background and studies, she became a communication expert. She uses her communication skills and development experience in her work as a crowdfunding coach. These coaching sessions and training are catered to migrants wishing to contribute to their country of origin.
|09:00 to 09:30||Registration|
|09:30 to 09:50||Opening Ceremonies
• Adri Zagers, Migration and Development Coordinator, IOM the Netherlands and Georgina Kwakye, Pimp My Village
• Antonio Polosa, Chief of Mission, IOM the Netherlands
|09:50 to 10:45||Keynote Addresses
• Drs. M.E. Marit Maij, Special Envoy for Migration, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands
• Prof. Dr. Josette Dijkhuizen, Accelerator in Entrepreneurship
• Prof. Dr. Melissa Siegel, Head of Migration Studies at the Maastricht Graduate School of Governance (MGSoG) and UNU-MERIT
|10:45 to 10:55||Break|
|11:00 to 11:45||Panel Round 1: Migration & Development: Global Perspective
How can diaspora contribute to the three pillars of sustainable development – economic, social and environmental?
• Joseph Lansana, Private Sector Manager, Office of Diaspora Affairs, Sierra Leone
• Dr. Awil Mohamoud, Board Member Africa-Europe Diaspora Development Platform (ADEPT), Director of the African Diaspora Policy Centre (ADPC).
• Karel Uyttendaele, Project Coordinator, “Circular Migration for young and highly-qualified Africans”, Belgium
• Deepali Fernandes, Senior Migration and Economic Development Specialist, IOM HQ Geneva, Switzerland
|11:45 to 11:55||Presentation: About the Japan-supported diaspora program in Sierra Leone
Kunikazu Akao, Project Coordinator of Diaspora Engagement, IOM Sierra Leone
|11:55 to 12:05||CD4D Country Showcase: Somalia, Zuhur Mohamed|
|12:05 to 12:50||Panel Round 2: Migration & Development: Dutch Perspective
How can diaspora contribute to achieving objectives of the Dutch policy paper ‘Investing in Global Prospects: for the World, for the Netherlands.’
• H.E. Mr. Dr. M. Homayoon Azizi, Ambassador, Afghan Embassy in the Netherlands
• Nathalie Lintvelt, Head of Migration and Development Group, Ministry of Foreign Affairs
• Fatumo Farah, Director, Himilo Relief and Development Association (HIRDA Foundation), The Netherlands
• Max Koffi, Director, Africa in Motion, The Netherlands
|12:50 to 13:00||CD4D Country Showcase: Afghanistan, Nelab Faqiri (KEIHAN Foundation)|
|13:00 to 14:00||Lunch|
|14.00 to 14:10||CD4D Country Showcase: Sierra Leone, AbuBakarr Bangura|
|14:20 to 15:10||Workshop Session 1
1. Expanding Diaspora Contribution and Investment Opportunities
2. Can New Technology Enhance the Impact made by International Organizations?
3. Transnational Migrant Entrepreneurship in Developing Countries
4. Higher Education and Work Experiences with Multinational Companies to Advance Economic Development in Africa
|15:10 to 15:30||Break|
|15:30 to 16:40||Workshop Session 2 (see topics Session 1)|
|16:30 to 16.40||CD4D Country Showcase: Ethiopia, Dawit Tadesse|
|16:40 to 17:00||Wrap-up|
|17:00 to 18:00||Reception|