Website The Ministry of Energy and Water (MEW)
I. General Information
The Ministry of Energy and Water (MEW) plays a key role towards developing the sectors of energy and water in Afghanistan. Energy is vital for the development of industry and growth of economy while sustainable electricity at affordable prices can improve the living standard of the whole afghan nation.
Additionally, water can improve the livelihood of people both of present and future generations by providing access to safe drinking water, household food security, and sources of income whereas protecting them from the negative effects of droughts and floods by developing and managing water resources in a sustainable way with user participation, and by contributing to the growth of the national economy by providing effective services for efficient water use in all sectors.
Human capital plays significant role in accomplishing the missions and tasks of ministry of energy and water and to transform the Afghanistan into self-reliant, developed, and prosperous country in the region. Recruiting highly educated and potential employees for performing core and important tasks is main strategy for further improvements of ministry.
Address of host institution
MEW Main Campus, Darulaman Road, Kabul, Afghanistan
Name and email address of focal point in host institution
II. Position Information
Organizational unit/ Department
Energy and Water Research Centre
Duration of assignment
III. Objectives of Assignment
- Solve geotechnical issues of dams and granting
- Review of design reports on time
- Using GIS & RS to prepare dam site selection also coordinate GIS and RS centre establishment in the MEW
- Start study on transboundary waters and provide expert opinion
- Doing prefeasibility studies of dams in MEW and coordinate dam design team for feasibility studies and provide appropriate feedback
IV. Responsibilities and accountabilities
Main tasks include:
- Develop an inception report on the current developmental projects at MEW and provide proper recommendation to be considered while implementing them as per Ministry’s available rules, regulations and mandate
- Provide proper advise to H.E. Minister on transboundary water issues in consultation with other relevant stakeholders such as Ministry of Finance and Ministry of Foreign Affairs and any other stakeholders working in this particular area
- Assist the technical team in developing further the Master Plan with GIS & RS tools and to properly ensure they all have the project planning papers prior endorsement.
- Conducting proper assessment of geotechnical, geological problems and seismic effects of the dam projects to identify proper solutions and recommendations for the best maintenance of the projects
- Assessment and analysis of satellite images and DEM to desk studies and determination of the project locations.
- Assisting to preparation of operation and maintenance plan for dams
- Providing technical assistance for the desk and field studies of the dam projects for MEW staff
- Contributing to professional development of water dams staff and providing staff training in the relevant field to be identified in three months of the joining date
- Assisting to preparation of technical documents of the projects for bidding when and where required
- Travel on regular basis to various MEW dams project locations to provide technical advices and management support based on need
- Assist in assuring that work is done on schedule and to quality standards.
- Provide other technical advice and duties as requested relevant to this ToR
The resource person is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Strong ability in making decision and solving problems;
- Honest and responsible;
- Ability to work and deliver under time pressure;
- Proactive and creative;
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a team as well as solving conflict.
- Ability to analyse the Geothechnical situations of Dams
- Have knowledge about the grouting in dam foundations
- Have knowledge about International Transboundary water laws
- Using professional softwares such as AutoCAD, DIPS, Global mapper, QGIS, ArcGIS, Surfer, Roclab, Dips
- Using general Office software
VI. Education and Experience
- Having minimum a Master’s degree in these fields: Engineering geology or geotechnics and or related field
- 10 years job related experience in dam consulting and construction.
- Professional knowledge in GIS and RS.
- At least 4 years experiences in GIS and RS.
- Experience in soil and rock mechanics labs