Website The Ministry of Energy and Water (MEW)
I. General Information
The Ministry of Energy and Water (MEW) plays a key role towards developing the sectors of energy and water in Afghanistan. Energy is vital for the development of industry and growth of economy while sustainable electricity at affordable prices can improve the living standard of the whole afghan nation.
Additionally, water can improve the livelihood of people both of present and future generations by providing access to safe drinking water, household food security, and sources of income whereas protecting them from the negative effects of droughts and floods by developing and managing water resources in a sustainable way with user participation, and by contributing to the growth of the national economy by providing effective services for efficient water use in all sectors.
Human capital plays significant role in accomplishing the missions and tasks of ministry of energy and water and to transform the Afghanistan into self-reliant, developed, and prosperous country in the region. Recruiting highly educated and potential employees for performing core and important tasks is main strategy for further improvements of ministry.
Address of host institution
MEW Main Campus, Darulaman Road, Kabul, Afghanistan
Name and email address of focal point in host institution
II. Position Information
Organizational unit/ Department
Energy and Water Research Centre
Duration of assignment
III. Objectives of Assignment
- Provide technical advice to acquire funds for renewable energy projects.
- Assist in the development and implementation of climate change activities in Afghanistan.
- Provide technical advice in the various field of renewable energy;
IV. Responsibilities and accountabilities
Main tasks include:
- Prepare technical proposals for renewable energy technologies especially considering climate change financing.
- Draft concepts of renewable energy projects regarding to climate change funds such as CDM (Clean Development Mechanism), GCF (Green climate funds), GEF (Global Environment Facility)
- Write technical Proposals for renewable energy technologies especially considering climate change.
- Assist in the development and implementation of annual and five-year work plans of the RED-Renewable energy department, the management units and the zones;
- Plan and prepare technical supports on the implementation of different RED activities (workshops, trainings, awareness raising activities, etc.) and other related activities;
- Develop programs and projects in the field of renewable energy and energy efficiency as per the work plan of the RED;
- Prepare technical reports, project reports and associated documents relevant to the TAT activities; deliver status reports to RED directorate and management units.
- Participate in other related activities as may be assigned by the RED directorate.
- Initiate renewable energy projects and mobilize and coordinate support for the projects from development partners;
- Design and supervise energy demand and supply surveys;
- Conduct and supervise field surveys, collect socioeconomic data, as well as data on renewable energy resources;
- Identify and establish contacts with relevant stakeholders such as development partners, RE private sector businesses, public sector, NGOs and other relevant government institutions that will contribute to the implementation of RED activities;
- Coordinate all activities with development partners and other stakeholders;
- Liaise with the third party supports on the implementation of the associated renewable energy projects activities;
- Monitor the performance of the third party supports and provide necessary inputs to ensure improved and consistent progress of the renewable energy projects;
- Prepare and provide capacity-building training programs and additional courses to increase the performance outcomes of the RED staff;
The resource person is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Strong ability in making decision and solving problems;
- Honest and responsible;
- Ability to work and deliver under time pressure;
- Proactive and creative;
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a team as well as solving conflict.
- Familiar with technical soft wares in electrical engineering and renewable energy (DIgSILENT, HOMER, PVSyst, PSSE, …)
- Good skills on technical proposal writing.
VI. Education and Experience
- A Completed university degree in electrical engineering OR Renewable Energy. (Master degree is preferred).
- Minimum 2 years of relevant work experience in research on electrical engineering OR Renewable Energy with demonstrable successes
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English.