Ministry of Justice
I. General Information
The function of the Somaliland ministry of Justice is laid down in article 105, Somaliland National constitution. Accordingly, the key priorities of the Ministry are as follows:
The objectives of the MOJ include, among others, to:
(a) Uphold and promote the rule of law in Somaliland;
(b) Respect and promote the separation of powers as contemplated in the Constitution, whilst taking into account the normal checks and balances of governmental branches;
(c) Promote and maintain an effective, efficient, transparent and accountable criminal justice system;
(d) Co-ordinate, facilitate and promote the general provision of and access to legal services in Somaliland;
(e) Take leadership in coordinating the progressive realization of rights and freedoms contemplated in the Constitution;
(f) Co-operate and support other role players, whilst respecting their specific mandates and, where applicable, their independence.
Since its formation, MOJ has been undertaking its mandated tasks through leadership, assistance and oversight aimed at ensuring that all institutions of the justice sector are able to effectively and efficiently deliver services to Somaliland citizens.
Name of host institution
Republic of Somaliland ministry of Justice
Address of host institution
Adjacent to supreme courts of Somaliland, Hargeisa, Somaliland
Name and email address of focal point in host institution
Jama Ahmed C/Rahman
Republic of Somaliland, Ministry of Justice
Background information about host institution
The presidential decree (No. 81/1996) established the ministry of Justice and Somaliland laid down its main functions and duties, after the presidential decree on last January, 2017 that separates the ministry of Justice from the Judiciary component, the minister took initiative of restructuring the ministry and now the ministry consists of seven departments, five of the existing departments are: 1) Administration and finance; 2) Judicial Affairs and Access to Justice; 3) Prisons Affairs and Human Rights; 4) Women and Children’s Justice; and 5) Planning and Statistics.
And two new departments which are 1) Department of Communication and Public Relations, 2) Department of Conflict Resolutions
II. Position Information
Health Coordinator for the ministry of justice for the prisons in Somaliland is essential in these settings, fulfilling responsibilities that offer support the prisons administration and other medical staff. Health Coordinator for the prison must be well organized and have excellent reading and writing skills, as they may be expected to create inmates systematic reports and order supplies. Health coordinator works as a bridge between inmates, medical staff and Ministry of Justice. Ministry of justice is looking for a healthcare coordinator position with prisons administrations in Somaliland to provide valuable services to inmates and their family members and access necessary medical services easily.
Organizational unit/ Department
Department of Prisons and Human Rights
Duration of assignment (max 3 months)
From 1/8/2017 till 1/11/2017
III. Objectives of Assignment
- Developing health policy structures and operating procedures to improve the health status of prisons in the Somaliland.
- Establishing and maintaining contacts and effective relations health professionals
- Conducting a comprehensive assessment on organizational development capacity for the health status of prisons, identifying and analysing existing weaknesses and strengths of the prisons.
IV. Responsibilities and accountabilities
- Creating outcomes, goals and an overall care plans for the prison in Somaliland
- Providing guidance, supporting and advising to inmates dealing with complex medical issues.
- Helping inmates navigate through a medical care scenario that may involve a variety of different doctors and treatment methods.
- Submitting regular reports to the Minister and Director General of the ministry.
- Assisting health care team in the prisons of the prisons setting goals, quality assurance and best practices
- Liaising between the Somaliland prisons and ministry of Justice
- Assessing and screening inmates as well as processing procedures health matters for the inmates.
- Coordinating preventive programs in the prisons of Somaliland
- Creating referral mechanism of the inmates and ability to provide counselling therapy for the inmates.
- Ability to work in stressful environment and under pressure
- Case Management and skills of administration of governmental institutions
- Organizational management and adaptability
- Ability to create high quality reports and working systems.
Behavioural and technical
- Required knowledge in performance standards and Somaliland prison administration.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Possess ability to work in an office setting.
- Demonstrate the understanding of reporting system.
- Honesty and integrity, punctuality, strong work ethics are essential
VI. Education and Experience
Degree in medicine and certificate programs specifically dedicated to training health care, health care experience in the prisons between 5—10 years.
VII. Language requirements
Somaliland and English are required Arabic and other languages are desirable